
Newsletter
Join the Community
Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest news and updates

The Infrastructure Minister revealed this week the North to South Belfast service will not be in place until at least 2033
2026/02/19
Need to know Everything you need to know as new Belfast Glider route will not be complete until 2033 The Infrastructure Minister revealed this week the North to South Belfast service will not be in place until at least 2033 19:40, 19 Feb 2026 Stock image of a Translink Glider passing Belfast City Hall (Image: ) Everything you need to know on Belfast Glider expansion latest The North to South Belfast Glider was first announced by then-Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon in July 2021, with a timeline for when services could be operational being set out. It was proposed that the service would be up and running by September 2027. Currently, the service only runs from East to West Belfast , with a link to the Titanic Quarter. It first began operating in September 2018, with Translink saying the eco-hybrid 'tram on wheels' makes city centre travel more convenient and hassle-free. On February 25, 2025, Infrastructure Minister Liz Kimmins announced the next steps for the Belfast Rapid Transit 2 project , which included scaling the service back to omit stops beyond Cairnshill Park and Ride to Carryduff and not extending the service to Glengormley, deeming this "not economically viable." This week, the minister confirmed it's not expected the project will be completed until 2033, subject to securing additional funding required. It has been previously reported the cost of the project is expected to be £148m. In response to a written question from the SDLP's Matthew O'Toole, Minister Kimmins revealed funding secured so far for extending the Glider service is £76m short of the £124.5m required. So far, £35m has been allocated for the Glider from the Belfast Region City Deal, while the Department for Infrastructure has committed £13m, which the minister said "will enable the commencement of a phased delivery." SDLP leader of the opposition, Matthew O'Toole MLA, said: "If the minister is serious about delivering this crucial project then both she and the finance minister should put the money where their mouth is to fund this crucial upgrade to Belfast's transport infrastructure." In a statement a spokesperson for the Department for Infrastructure said "there has been no delay to the Belfast Rapid Transport 2 project." They said they are on course to be on the ground later this year, with the intention for full construction starting in 2027, in line with the timeline set out in February 2025. They added: "It has always been anticipated that the BRT2 route would take 6 years to become fully operational from the start of construction. Since her announcement in February 2025 regarding the next steps for BRT2, the Minister has always been clear that delivery of the project in full would be subject to the availability of additional funding. There is currently a £100million shortfall and the Minister will consider this in the multi-year budget.” READ THE FULL STORY: North to South Belfast Glider not expected to be completed until 2033 Want to see more of the stories you love from ? Making us your preferred source on Google means you’ll get more of our exclusives, top stories and must-read content straight away. To add as a preferred source, simply click here . Follow : X (Twitter) Instagram